Betanzos HB leads Demadera project, which will develop until 2018 wines and fizzy drinks from viticulture and wood extracts. This project aims to search for new high value applications for eucalyptus and other species, starting on the wood extracts compound made during the production process for high density boards.
For years the R&D department has been researching possible applications of this co-product: 100% natural and with high-valued compounds such as lignin, tannins, polyphenol and sugar.
Besides, in this partnership there are other companies as Mercantia and Bodegas Casa Monte Pío, and the collaboration of the University of Santiago de Compostela, Anfaco-Cecopesca, Aula de Productos Lácteos and Evega.
Demadera has been jointly financed by the plan Coneta Peme, sponsored by the Galician Agency for Innovation (Gain) and supported by the Economy, Work and Industry Ministry in the Galician Government, to encourage the cooperation between Pymes and other agents in the Galician R&D System (throughout the support to research and innovation projects oriented towards the market and focusing its challenges and priorities as specified in the RIS3 for Galicia) jointly financed by the FEDER in the FEDER Operational Programme for Galicia 2014-2020.
Provided: 168.475,33 euros.
- Study and adaptation of the production process to the needs of the project.
- Establishment of a collection system, characterization and monitoring of co-products.
- Development of bases for drinks.
- Development of extracts with antimicrobial activity and preservative.
- Development of wines and beverages similar to wine by partial or total reduction of alcohol.
- Development of a fertilizer from co-products.
- Development of an ingredient with preservative character for detergency and cosmetics of natural origin.
- Study of other applications for co-products.
- Development of wines with low alcohol content and soft drinks with low sulfite content and wood flavour.