Betanzos HB participates in the Industrial Research enCAIXA project, which, until 2020, will investigate the development of industrial packaging with Galician wood, especially new solutions, personalisation and automation of the assembly. Specifically, it is about finding solutions to compete internationally in the packaging market using wood, a key raw material in Galicia.
The R&D department of Betanzos HB has indicated the following specific objectives:
- “Reinvent” the hardboard manufacturing process.
- Expand its presence in the packaging board market by developing a specific product for this segment: lighter and thinner.
- Development of adhesives from wood co-products.
- Digitalisation of the hardboard manufacturing process and research of solutions 4.0.
The main actions will be:
- Design new hardboard types.
- Development of adhesive based on wood for packaging.
- Research in collaborative robotics and artificial vision for the automation of the assembly of boxes.
In addition, the companies Talentis Interesa, Puertas Betanzos, JJ Chicolino and Mucarce Carpinteros also participate in the consortium.
enCaixa is also co-financed by the program Conecta Peme, subsidised by the Galician Innovation Agency (GAIN) and supported by the Ministry of Economy, Employment and Industry of the Xunta de Galicia. The aim is to encourage cooperation between SMEs and other agents of the Galician System of R&D, by supporting market-orientated research and innovation projects aligned with the challenges and priorities identified in the PIS3 for Galicia. The program is also co-financed by the European Regional Development Fund (ERDF) within the operative program Feder Galicia 2014-2020.
Total budget: 1,073,809.40 euros
- Study for the development of specific packaging products.
- Replacement of solid wood by wooden veneer packaging.
- Mechanisation through linear processes.
- Blanching of autochthonous veneer.